Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Cheesecake for Shavuot

A couple of weeks ago, I spent a pleasant 40 minutes discussing food with Cantor Marshall Loomer – cheesecake, to be specific.

I was interviewing him for a food article in conjunction with Shavuot, the holiday associated with dairy foods and – not in order of importance – the giving of the Torah.

In a previous life, Marshall, who happens to be the cantor at my synagogue, had a small cheesecake business. He can still talk the talk, and in fact was planning to discuss his cheesecake in a sermon next week on the first day of the holiday.

His recipes sound much too tempting. Chocolate cheesecake topped with dark chocolate curls and drizzled with chocolate syrup, anyone?

But Marshall’s favourite – the one I included in the article – is a plain cheesecake with a sour cherry topping. It’s online, here.

I’d try it myself, if I wasn’t lactose-intolerant.

No comments: